Farmers Bank of Virginia Broadside [1839-1842]

Access and use

Location of collection:
F.B. Kegley Library
Wytheville Community College
Smyth Hall, Room 103
1000 East Main Street
Wytheville, VA 24382
Contact for questions and access:
POC: William A. “Bill” Veselik
Phone: (276) 223-4876
POC: George Mattis
Phone: (276) 223-4744
Fax: (276) 223-4745

Collection context

Summary

Language:
English

Background

Scope and content:

The collection consists of a broadside dated between 1839 and 1842 proposing the establishment of a branch in Wythe Court house [Wytheville] by "presidents, directors and stockholders" of the Farmers Bank of Virginia. The broadside argues that Wythe Court House's convenient location as a center of regional trade makes it a better choice than Abingdon; it particularly notes that livestock, lead, flour, bacon, and other agricultural products are traded in eastern markets such as "the towns upon the James River or Maryland. The entire trade of this section of country is Eastward, which would enable it to create an Eastern fund, by which the Bank could keep up its balances, in such a manner as to preclude the possibility of any specie being drawn from its vaults, by the holders of its notes in the East, from whom our merchants purchase their supplies of goods for our market."

The broadside, measuring "9" inches by "15" inches, is signed by David McComas, William H. Spiller, and John B. Floyd. An annexed statement on the broadside provides information on monetary worth of livestock, manufactured goods, minerals, agricultural and other products exported from Wythe and surrounding counties. According to this statement, Wythe County exported over $121,000 worth of goods annually.

Biographical / historical:

The Farmers Bank of Virginia opened in Richmond in 1812 with capital investments of two million dollars. Many branches eventually opened statewide, however before 1817 the branch in Staunton was the furthest west. The Wythe Court House branch evidently opened between 1839 and 1842 but closed soon after the Civil War ended. The branch was located at the corner of East Main and First Streets.

Acquisition information:
Donated by the estate of Frederick Bittle Kegley in 1968.
Physical description:
1 item.